THIS CALL IS NOW CLOSED
Culham St Gabriel’s Trust invites expressions of interest from RE-related organisations or networks to develop a major large-scale project to transform RE in English primary schools. Expressions of interest should be received by close of business on Friday 29th January 2016, following which some organisations will be invited to submit a fully developed grant application.
The recurrent challenges facing primary RE include confusion over the purpose of RE, limited subject knowledge, a lack of teacher confidence, paucity of initial training and CPD opportunities, isolation, marginalization and low status. Nevertheless, some excellent RE practice does exist and can be built on. We are interested in proposals to address the challenges through systematic consideration of the purpose, pedagogy and practice of RE, and transformative CPD leading to better practice. Proposals can include ideas for conferences, courses, online materials, films, or mailings, and will probably consist of some combination of these.
Successful expressions of interest should have the following characteristics:
- Consistency with the spirit, aims and breadth of content in the 2013 National Curriculum Framework for RE, the 2015 curriculum design guidance, and beyond-levels assessment
- Simplicity in the selection and design of knowledge and understanding
- An aspiration to reach every primary school in England with messages about good RE, through working with selected schools and disseminating from them
- Hallmarks of best practice in CPD, including recognizing and building on the professional pedagogical strengths that primary teachers already have, constructively opening up areas of difficulty and complexity, challenging assumptions, systematically referring to research, and repeatedly giving teachers opportunities to put their learning into practice and reflect on it
- Embedding good knowledge, good practice and confident understanding in schools as a lasting legacy
- A proposed timeline, with outline costs, for a project lasting until January 2018.
It will also be beneficial if Expressions of Interest show:
- How they might engage with primary expertise beyond the RE community, for example in universities and professional associations
- How progression in RE can work in terms of the child’s development from Early Years to the end of Key Stage 2
- How appropriate pedagogical and content-rich links can be made to other areas of learning.
Culham St Gabriel’s Trust will expect to have a continuing dialogical engagement with the successful applicant, focused on the project’s messages, materials, theoretical understanding of good RE, and events.
Expressions of interest must be completed by close of business on Friday 29th January 2016 by going to Apply for a Grant and completing the appropriate corporate expression of interest form.